Saturday, November 30, 2013
Well, fair wood stoves have never been gone, actually. It's just that for many years their sales have seen a decline mainly due to emergence of gas or electric fireplaces. In recent years, however, their popularity has returned, gaining more followers than before, making wood stoves hot properties, literally and figuratively speaking.
The return of wood stove popularity credited to escalating fuel bills. In the face of soaring gas prices and with economies all time low, people blamed for looking for ways to save a few extra dollars. And they found this in wood stoves whose main attraction is undeniably its financial benefit. It is now an acceptable low-cost home heating alternative to fireplaces. Aside from being energy-efficient it is also environmental-friendly. It doesn't hurt that it adds a charming look to your home interiors especially when placed with practical wood stove accessories. Speaking of accessories, here are 8 great ways to accessorize your wood stoves. Don't be fooled with the term,though. Despite being labeled as mere decorations, like fireplace accessories, they do more than just accentuate your interiors. Read on and find out.
1. Ash Bucket- Probably the most practical and important stove accessory that you buy. It is very convenient when starting a fire, especially when you don't have much time to start fire from scratch. An ash bucket is where you put live embers or coal and keep them smoldering.
2. Fire Starter- To prevent backlash which can severely injure you, avoid making use of kerosene or gasoline to start your fire. It is safer to use commercial fire starter.
3. Stove Gloves- Stove gloves are not your ordinary gloves. They are specially treated to withstand harsh condition particularly extreme heat. When buying a pair, a welder's set of gloves offers the most protection. Make sure that you get a pair that is long enough to protect not just your hands but also your arms. You need them when you have to place a new log inside your stove or if you need to grab a burning log and shift it around. Using your bare hands is not only extremely dangerous but is also known to potentially damage cells in your hands. It is wise to protect the part of your body that is unfavorable condition by wearing a proper gear like in this case, a pair of stove gloves.
4. Cast iron cookware- One of the great features of a wood stove is that it provides you with a space to prepare and cook your food. It makes perfect sense if you get cooking cook wares made of cast iron since those meant for gas or electric stoves are far too flimsy. Nowadays you can get these set of cook wares in different shapes and sizes.
5. Log carriers and carts- These accessories make it more convenient for you to bring in fuel from the pile outside. If you just need a few, you can make use of a log carrier instead of staking them in your arms. Popular choices are those made of wicker. If you want a wicker basket or carrier, choose one that is the sturdiest and strongest. On the other hand, if you need to stock up a lot of fuel to last you through the long winter, a wood carrier comes in handy. It is sturdy enough to carry more woods than a log basket is capable of carrying.
6. Log Holders and Rack- Once the pile of woods is inside, you need something to keep them off the ground or floor. This ensures that your woods stay dry and free from insects. A log holder or a rack is responsible for this task and at the same time provides a pleasing vision to your interior. If you get one, consider the space need for positioning, though.
7. Stove Thermometer- You can't afford to forget a stove thermometer. It helps you keep track of the temperature of your stove and at the very least keeps you safe in your own home. Monitoring the heat produced by your stove makes it possible for you to refrain from producing heat that is way more than you actually need. This enables you to conserve on fuel. Aside from your wall, thermometers can now be conveniently attached to your stove-pipe or your stove.
8. Tools- To guarantee that your wood stove is in perfect working condition, you need to get tools to help you keep your stove nice and clean. Basic tool set includes an ash shovel, a brush, a poker and a rake although stove tools are not limited to these four only. Aside from the few things you can do to make sure that your stove is clean and safe, it is also important to have it thoroughly inspected by a certified sweep at least once a year. Admittedly, investing in wood stoves doesn't come cheap. But with the proper care along with a few handy wood stove accessories, it will be a proven worthwhile investment which can last you a lifetime. Click here for Wood Stove Accessories and Stove Pipe.
1 bag of thawed hashbrowns
4 eggs that are lightly beaten
1 cup pancake mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Heat up your large skillet that has been lightly coated with vegetable oil. While that is warming up, combine everything in a large mixing bowl. Drop the mix by large spoonfuls into the skillet. Cook them until they are browned, flipping them once. Serve them hot.
Friday, November 29, 2013
Little Man loves doing this! Gets it out and does it all by him self. Not only doing addition, but doing subtraction and some times tables, too. I only wish that I would've bought more of these flies when Dollar Tree had them. Christmas time now. Going to check it out today and see what things they might have for using with math.
Thursday, November 28, 2013
Here is a good recipe to use some of it up with.
Leftover Turkey Casserole
2 and a half cup of prepared mashed potatoes - we have some of them left over!
2 cups of your cooked turkey - shredded up
1 jar of turkey gravy
1 cup of prepared stuffing. Left over also.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place the mashed potatoes in a casserole dish that you had sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
In a large skillet combine the gravy and turkey and cook it to a simmer and then add the stuffing. Mix it together well.
Spoon the turkey mixture over the mashed potatoes and then bake for about 30 minutes.
Wednesday, November 27, 2013
The complete collection of the Stumptown Survival series!
This boxed set includes all four volumes. Follow the Stumptown Survivors through their journey, including:
Volume One: Maryhill
Fourteen survivors in a post-apocalyptic world are all that remain of the group who left Portland, OR almost two months ago. They have seen unspeakable horrors, been through tragedies and triumphs, and are simply trying to stay alive for one more day.
Now, they have finally reached their destination, the Maryhill Museum of Art, only to find a horde of zombies blocking their progress. Weary and disheartened, the survivors have to regroup and determine their next move.
They have no idea what obstacles they will face trying to get inside the museum, or what they will find if they do succeed.
Will Maryhill be the fortress of protection they so desperately need? Or will it become something else entirely...
Volume Two: O.M.S.I.
Roughly three months before the apocalyptic events that took place at the Maryhill Museum of Art, the world was just beginning to fall into chaos. The outbreak had not yet spread across the country and many were still blissfully unaware of the horrors that were coming for them.
On the eve of the outbreak, in Portland, OR, Dylan and Karen were out on a Halloween date, clad in costumes and getting to know each other. While trying to escape the unwanted attention his military service attracts, Dylan met the cool and collected Paige. As the evening drags on, Dylan attempts to take his new date home, but the apocalypse is one step ahead of him.
By morning, Dylan and a group of survivors will be forced to begin a trek to safety, only to find many others already have the same idea. They will see unspeakable horrors, go through tragedies and triumphs, and must simply try to stay alive for one more day.
Will they make it to safety in time??
Volume Three: Hood River
They have seen unspeakable horrors, been through tragedies and triumphs, and are simply trying to stay alive for one more day.
Now, the survivors have taken to the road, trying to find a better place to live in the new post-apocalyptic world, but are they prepared for what they may find?
At a brewery in the small town of Hood River, they find temporary reprieve and a new group of survivors. But can these new people be trusted?
Many of the survivors are on edge, suspicious of the aloof, cross-bow wielding Mason, and unwilling to follow orders from Dylan. Soon, a few simple mistakes means the entire group faces immediate life or death consequences.
Can they escape from Hood River? And will the group ever be the same if they can?
Volume Four: Columbus Road
The final, chilling story of the series finds the small group of survivors making themselves comfortable in a less than ideal setting. Despite the problems, and the zombies waiting just outside its doors, this is the safest place the survivors have been in a long time.
But their peace and safety is short-lived. Now divided into small groups, they are forced to make difficult decisions in the hopes that the others will survive to see the next sun rise.
Will they make it to safety? Find out in this thrilling conclusion!
These are the Stumptown Survivors. This is their story.
The complete collection of the Stumptown Survival series!
This boxed set includes every Stumptown Survival story! Follow their thrilling journey from beginning to end. Get started today!
Tuesday, November 26, 2013
Prepared For Survival Store!! Check out my Prepared For Survival online store. Great Christmas gift ideas in it. It has books , tools, solar powered items, and more. Anything that someone preparing for survival would need. Perfect items for the prepper or for someone that is wanting to become a prpper. Get your family started with one of these items.
If there is something that you think that my store should have please comment on it.
Thank you for checking it out.
Download our free toolbar
Kindle You can get some great preparedness books for it and survivalist fiction.You can get a Suntactics sCharger-5 High Performance Solar Charger, Quickly Charges iPhone, iPad Mini, iPod Touch, Android Phones, Samsung, Nokia, eReaders, BlueTooth Speakers, and Many Other USB Devices Directly From Sunlight. Extremely Durable and Reliable. to be able to charge it in an off the grid experience.
Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter
3-Day Lite Emergency KitI am getting one of these for my son to keep in the trunk of his car. I got him a Jump-N-Carry JNC300XL 900 Peak Amp Ultraportable 12V Jump Starter with Light for his birthday and he has already used it a few times to help friends.
Mr. Heater F215100 MH4B Little Buddy 3800-BTU Indoor-Safe Propane Heater
Complete Pillar Candle Making Kit: Learn how fast, easy & fun it is to make your own pillar candles. Perfect for beginners!This is a great idea for a teen or just for someone that you know would love to be able to make their own candles.
Mountain House Best Sellers KitThis is a great idea for getting someone you know started into food storage.
Emergency Survival Food Supply 275 Meal PackGreat idea also to get someone started in food storage.
Global Sun Oven® - World's Best Solar Oven
RoadPro RPSL-350 12V 1.5 Quart Slow Cooker
Advanced Elements 5 Gallon Summer Shower / Solar Shower
Kaito Electronics, Inc. Portable Dynamo & Solar-Powered Radio and Cell Phone Charger
Solar 11-in-1 Battery Charger
Glo Brite L201 Galaxy Clear Glass Kerosene/Oil Lamp
FoodSaver V2222 Vacuum Food Sealer PLUS Starter Kit
Nesco/American Harvest FD-80 Square-Shaped Dehydrator
Motorola MR355R 35-Mile Range 22-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair)
Gerber 31-000701 Bear Grylls Survival Series Ultimate Kit
Whistle Creek Survival Kit in a Sardine Can
There are some great survivalist type movies that you can get someone for a present also. The Walking Dead: Season One, The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season, The Colony: Seasons 1 & 2
, and The Road are just a couple that are my favorites.
The Prepper's Pocket Guide: 101 Easy Things You Can Do to Ready Your Home for a Disaster Ultimate Family Preparedness Pak
120 Serving Breakfast Only @ $198 (120 Servings breakfast assortment. No entrees) - Order Now!
Monday, November 25, 2013
This is a guide to designing and building different styles of Greenhouses. It covers basic design concepts and calculations. It has helpful advise on construction, layout and and building techniques.
It covers several types of Greenhouse designs, such as the Tunnel, Traditional, Gothic, and Dome styles. It gives advise on techniques for building of the Greenhouses. It covers the major cost of materials and lists the tools necessary to complete the job.
You will learn how to build a 10' x 10' Tunnel style Greenhouse for less than $200.00. There are sections on how to heat and cool the greenhouse how to prevent it from being blown away in high winds along with building tips and techniques.
Homemade Bread Stuffing
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 9 cups soft bread cubes (15 slices)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Melt butter in 4-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook celery and onion in butter 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Remove Dutch oven from the heat.
- Gently toss celery mixture and remaining ingredients, using spoon, until bread cubes are evenly coated.
- Place stuffing in casserole or baking dish. Cover with lid or aluminum foil and bake at 325°F for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 15 minutes longer.
Sunday, November 24, 2013
In I Can Can Beef!! you will learn to can delicious, naturally flavorful and tender beef cubes. The well explained step-by-step instructions are followed by a series of easy and tasty recipes for super-quick nutritious family meals.
What will you learn in this book?
1. You will learn two easy step-by-step methods to safely home can beef for yourself and your family.
2. You will learn to significantly lower your food costs and increase the nutritional value of your family’s diet.
3. You will learn how to shop for beef to get the best prices on the highest quality cuts of meat.
4. You will learn how to use the canned beef cubes in delicious, easy recipes that will make going through the drive-through seem like more trouble than cooking a healthy meal for your family.
These techniques are written so that anyone, whether you are a complete novice or a seasoned home canner, can follow along. Everything is step by step with explanations of the how as well as the why of the easy steps.
Dr. Shambrook uses both her academic teaching experience and her friendly down-home story telling style to clearly explain the process of canning beef in a way that even the most inexperienced home canner can follow.
Saturday, November 23, 2013
This Hunger Games Survival Guide is Brought to you by Survival Life! They want to help you celebrate the 75th Annual Hunger Games! Seven real-life survival tips to help you to get through all of the deadly traps in the arena.
May the odds be ever in your favor!
Friday, November 22, 2013
Just sharing this link. Pretty active out there in the world. Be prepared! Keep watch!! Be Safe!!
Build a greenhouse add-on for less than $15 per square foot!
A sunroom built onto the south side of an existing home is the most cost-effective way to capture the energy of the sun. The add-on not only lowers your heating bills, it also provides space to start seeds in the spring and to extend your gardening season in the fall.
This book includes 32 photos and diagrams, including scale drawings to make your building project simple.
Powered By Ringsurf
Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. Your support in purchasing through these links enables me to share more information and get closer to getting my family totally off-grid and on our own piece of land. This will let me share more and more information to allow , hopefully, for you to become more self-sufficient and able to become more prepared by reading my blog and purchasing items that I share with you that will help you. Thank you! :)