Ads 468x60px

Monday, February 24, 2014

50 pound bag of Grits on the way!!!

Honeyville Food Products
I just put in my order to Honeyville Food Products for a 50 pound bag of white corn grits! Kept in the right conditions they can last up 1 year. But longer if you store them other way. I am also getting some oxygen absorbers and getting out my food saver.

Grits are easy to cook and they fill you up. Great source of iron and protein . http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/grits-cooked-corn-or-hominy-regular

Simple recipe for buttered grits!

1 cup of grits

5 cups of water

1 teaspoon salt

butter to taste ( we use a lot of real butter!)

In a large pot bring the water to a boil than lower to simmering.

Slowly whisk in the grits and stir them constantly until they thicken up.

Turn the heat to low. They will probably still bubble up every few seconds. Cook for about 30 minutes. Cook longer if they are coarser. Stir them  often so they don't scorch on the bottom.

Once they are tender and cooked add the butter and salt. Serve hot. I always serve mine with scrambled eggs on top.


0 comments:






Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. Your support in purchasing through these links enables me to share more information and get closer to getting my family totally off-grid and on our own piece of land. This will let me share more and more information to allow , hopefully, for you to become more self-sufficient and able to become more prepared by reading my blog and purchasing items that I share with you that will help you. Thank you! :)