Ads 468x60px

Friday, October 2, 2015

Food Storage Recipe - Crockpot Brown Beans

Pinto beans are the most common bean in the USA and are often eaten whole or refried which makes them a great filling for burritos. Eating beans is a good source of fiber and protein and doesn't contain fat, sodium, or cholesterol. A half of a cup of beans is about 120 calories. They are filling and a great alternative to eating meat.

Dry beans will keep indefinitely as long as you store them in a cool dry place. The longer you keep them their nutritive value and flavor will decrease over time. It takes a long time to cook beans, and you should soak the beans first to shorten the cooking time.



NEED:

1 lb bag of pinto beans

6 cups chicken broth (water)

1 ham hock

1 onion

4 garlic cloves

Salt and pepper to taste

Beans out of a bag need sorting through for rocks or other debris that could come up. Basically, you look through the beans and pick out anything that doesn't look like a bean. Then you wash them well. If you want them to cook fast, presoak them first. I cook my beans in a Crockpot, so I never use the presoak method. Once sorted and cleaned I put in 6 cups of water or chicken broth in the Crockpot. Put in the beans then cut up the onion and mince the garlic and add to the Crockpot. Add in the ham hock or whatever meat you season the beans with. I sometimes use smoked turkey as a healthier alternative. Season the beans with salt and pepper. I let the beans cook several hours on low inside the Crockpot; about 4 to 6 hours since I like the meat to fall apart. While the beans are cooking, you can make some hot buttered cornbread to serve alongside the beans. The great thing about Crockpot's is you don't have to constantly watch your food. You add the ingredients and go watch TV, read or write a book. When the beans are ready grab a bowl full and enjoy the warm cornbread.

0 comments:






Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. Your support in purchasing through these links enables me to share more information and get closer to getting my family totally off-grid and on our own piece of land. This will let me share more and more information to allow , hopefully, for you to become more self-sufficient and able to become more prepared by reading my blog and purchasing items that I share with you that will help you. Thank you! :)