Ads 468x60px

Thursday, October 15, 2015

I Have My Garlic Bulbs!

My son is so awesome! He brought us home a bag of garlic bulbs.

I plan on doing half of them indoors. When you do grow them indoors , you have to have them in at least 6" pots , so they have room to develop. They also need a very sunny spot.

Planting them outside...Garlic can be planted in rows 18" apart or in beds. Dig a shallow trough in the soil, plant the cloves two inches deep and four inches apart--pointed end up--and cover with soil. Water the bulbs just after planting. Water the plants regularly, keeping the soil moist but not wet.

Add a two inch layer of straw mulch after the cloves have taken root and the plants are about six inches tall. The mulch will help conserve water and protect the roots during the hotter days of summer.

Harvest the garlic when the leaves turn yellow and brown as they dry. Use a shovel to loosen the soil around the plants. Pull the bulbs from the soil, shaking off any loose dirt. Store the bulbs by hanging then by the tops or placing them on a table in a cool, dry place.

0 comments:






Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. Your support in purchasing through these links enables me to share more information and get closer to getting my family totally off-grid and on our own piece of land. This will let me share more and more information to allow , hopefully, for you to become more self-sufficient and able to become more prepared by reading my blog and purchasing items that I share with you that will help you. Thank you! :)