Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Food Storage Recipe - Powdered Milk Smoothies

I always see these little smoothie kits at Costco that I am TOTALLY tempted to buy. Who wouldn't want to have easy, healthy, ready-to-blend smoothies sitting there just waiting to be eaten? The problem is they are so expensive I can never justify buying them. My sister-in-law clued me in to this system she has been using to make her own homemade smoothie kits and the best part is they use powdered milk so they are perfect for rotating through my food storage supply of milk.

Fruit and Yogurt Smoothies

Serving Size: 2 large glasses

Prep Time: 5 minutes (if you make a bunch of baggies ahead of time)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup of frozen strawberries

1/2 cup of frozen blueberries

1/2 cup of frozen peaches or raspberries

1 cup of powdered milk prepared*

5 ice cubes of fat-free strawberry yogurt (or any other kind)

Sugar or other sweetener to taste

*instead of water for the liquid part of the milk, you can use juice for the flavor and sweetness, and the powder to make it creamy!

Directions:

Pour milk into blender

Add fruit, blend

Add yogurt cubes, blend

Add sugar, blend

Eat with a spoon, or drink with a straw

Directions to prepare a bunch of smoothies for the go ahead of time:

Buy 8-10 ziploc baggies

Buy bags of your favorite frozen fruits (I did 2 strawberry, 1 peach, 1 blueberry)

Divide up your fruit into the baggies

Divide a large container of yogurt into ice cube containers and freeze

Once frozen place 5 yogurt cubes into each ziploc bag

Put bags into the freezer and use them up as you wish, all you'll need to add is the milk and sugar.

By having all of these smoothie packets available in my freezer I have a ready-made, simple, healthy, and delicious meal or snack on hand at all times. My family loves these smoothies and I can feel good about them eating them, knowing exactly what's inside. And the best part is, I no longer have to worry about using up the powdered milk from my food storage before it expires. I can always fall back on my trusted smoothies even if I don't do enough other baking to use up the rest. Having a husband who refuses to drink regular powdered milk makes it pretty difficult to find ways to sneak it into my cooking, but the smoothie trick works great!

Jodi has a passion for learning about emergency preparedness and food storage in order to help her family be prepared for any kinds of emergency situations. She shares more food storage recipesand other great tips for planning, buying, and eating your food storage over at her blog Food Storage Made Easy.

If you are new to food storage, sign up for the FREE BabyStep Checklists which will walk you through the entire process of putting together a basic emergency preparedness plan, water storage, three month food supply, and year supply of long term food storage.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Jodi_Moore

The Prepper's Pocket Guide: 101 Easy Things You Can Do to Ready Your Home for a Disaster

Ultimate Family Preparedness Pak

120 Serving Breakfast Only @ $198 (120 Servings breakfast assortment. No entrees) - Order Now!

0 comments:






Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. Your support in purchasing through these links enables me to share more information and get closer to getting my family totally off-grid and on our own piece of land. This will let me share more and more information to allow , hopefully, for you to become more self-sufficient and able to become more prepared by reading my blog and purchasing items that I share with you that will help you. Thank you! :)